Tuesday, August 10, 2010

A Thought on 1 Corinthians 7:1-9

Verses 1-9
Verse 1 indicates that Paul's words in this passage are a response to the Corinthian statement, "It is good for a man not to have relations with a woman." To sum up Paul's response, marriage is one of God's prevention tools for humans against fornication. If we don't have the gift of singleness/celibacy/? (as it appears Paul did v7) then we are free to marry. We are also free to choose not to marry, but it is better to marry than to "burn with desire." Also, the husband and wife are no longer in authority over their own bodies. They are not to "deprive one another" unless they both agree on this for a time with the purpose of devotion to prayer.
Application thought: My husband is a tool of God to prevent fornication and, as the case would be, adultery in my life. Likewise, I am God's tool in my husband's life to prevent the same sin. If either myself or my husband refuse to meet the sexual needs of the other we are acting in sin, are a stumbling block to our mate, and not allowing God to use us for his glory. It glorifies God when I obey so....this is definitely something to consider the next time Satan whispers that lie of "Not tonight...you're too tired...you're not in the mood." In light of this I say to myself, "Get over yourself, enjoy the goodness of your mate....and glorify God in the meantime." :)
Peace Sisters!
Carol


No comments:

Post a Comment